2 pounds crosscut beef short ribs (flanken)
1/2 cup coconut aminos
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoon or honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 ripe pear, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
1 stalk of lemongrass, peeled and cut into chunks
1 scallion (green onion), trimmed and coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 cup organic chicken broth or water
1/4 c roughly chopped fresh cilantro
1. Make the marinade Combine the coconut aminos, water, vinegar, honey, garlic, pear, ginger, lemongrass, scallion, and sesame oil in a blender and pulse several times.
2. Toss in the Crockpot lay the beef in a single layer in the crockpot and pour the marinade and the 1 cup of chicken stock over the beef. Turn your crockpot onto low and keep yourself busy for 9 hours…
3. Grill(Optional) If you want your dinner on the table with as little work as possible, stop at step 2, but if you want your ribs crispy on the outside, throw them on the grill, and cook on high for 5-10 minutes on each side, until they have that crisp charred layer on the outside…mmmm!
4. Top with Cilantro
*You can make this dish ahead of time and store it in your fridge because the short ribs release a ton of fat into the gravy, which you can easily remove when the chilled fat hardens.
*If you want to make this recipe even easier, skip step one and pick up 2 bags of packaged coleslaw mix from the grocery store, make your dressing and mix!
1/2 head green cabbage, shredded
1/2 head red cabbage, shredded
2 medium carrots, grated
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup lemonaise, organic mayonaise, or homemade mayonaise
1 Tbs wasabi powder
1 Tbs stoneground mustard
4 drops liquid stevia
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1. Prepare your cabbage, carrots and red onion by cutting or shredding your cabbage by hand or in the food processor, I usually use the shredding and grating attachments to my food processor, and it makes it fast and easy!
2. Make your dressing. Mix your choice of mayo, wasabi powder, mustard, apple cider vinegar, stevia, salt and pepper.
3. Mix everything together and serve!