blue cheese bacon sliders3

My newest recipe was inspired by Deborah at http://gourmetmom.blogspot.com/ who commented on my recent Grain-Free Focaccia Recipe:

“We LOVED this.  It went so well with bowls of spicy chili.  In fact, we enjoyed it so much that the next night, I dolloped it into burger bun-sized circles and baked it (no herbs this time) sprinkled with sesame seeds.  I baked it for the same amount of time and it turned out really great.  I’ve made quite a few grain-free bun recipes and this one is the closest to a real burger bun!”

Yay for creative people! Thank you Deborah for sharing!

Just like Deborah, I omitted the rosemary, and olive oil in the original recipe Grain-Free Focaccia and I used a regular sized ice cream scoop, to scoop the dough into balls and I placed them on a parchment lined baking sheet. I sprinkled a mixture of poppy seeds, minced dried onion, and sesame seeds to make a “works” bun.

I baked them on 375 degrees F for 12 minutes. and I agree, this tasted almost identical to a regular burger bun! I will be making these all summer!

The Perfect Grain-Free Burger Bun

Author:

Serves: 4-6
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:

Ingredients
  • ¼ cup flax seed, ground
  • ¼ cup coconut flour
  • ¼ tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp sea salt
  • ¼ cup greek yogurt
  • 4 pastured eggs
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 2 TBS mixture of poppy seeds, sesame seeds and minced dried onion

Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Mix ground flax, coconut flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
  3. In a smaller bowl, beat the yogurt, eggs, and honey together until combined.
  4. Pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl with the dry ingredients, mix to combine. Let sit for 1-2 min, allowing the coconut flour to soak up the access liquid.
  5. Use an ice cream scoop, to place balls of dough on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Top each ball of dough with a sprinkle of the seed mixture.
  6. Bake for 10-12 minutes in preheated oven.

Enjoy!

25 Thoughts on “The Perfect Grain-Free Burger Bun

1. kristen on September 2, 2013 at 5:36 pm said:

Can I substitute almond meal for the flax seed? I follow an scd diet, which doesn’t allow flax, to manage crohn’s disease.

• jodyrodent on September 3, 2013 at 4:12 am said:

The flax helps to bind everything together. You can try it with almond flour, but I can’t guarantee good results:( maybe in the future I can come up with a good scd recipe.

• I wonder if chia seeds would work instead of the flax because chia makes a good binder also?

• jodyrodent on January 8, 2014 at 7:27 am said:

Art and Renee,
        I think chia seeds would work in place of the flax. Though I can’t say for sure, because I haven’t tried it.
        Jody

2. Kamlita Barrett on September 15, 2013 at 10:26 am said:

I cannot have dairy, what can I subsitute for the yogurt?

• jodyrodent on September 16, 2013 at 5:16 am said:

I believe canned full-fat coconut milk should work just as well, but I can’t guarantee it, since I haven’t tried it. Good luck!

3. I’m guessing I can use ground Chia seeds instead? I’m pg, and flax is not in my best interest right now.

4. From Josie in S.A. looks good, gonna try!

5. Sanders McClure on January 5, 2014 at 5:19 am said:

I need egg free. Do you think substituting with more flax might work?

6. Flo Conklin on January 5, 2014 at 6:55 am said:

I have an intolerance to coconut (and almonds). Do you think another flour would work?

7. Looks good

8. Can I mix this and leave it for a few hours before cooking? Looks delish!

9. Pingback: Salt & Pfeffer | Burger & Bourbon: The Perfect Meal

10. Great recipe! Absolutely delicious. :)

11. do you have the recipe for the burger in the photo too?

12. Just starting to get into baking low/no carb recipes. Since these recipes say “no grain” does it mean no carbs at all?

• jodyrodent on January 20, 2014 at 7:25 am said:

Ronda,
      No, it doesn’t mean no carb. I would suspect all of my recipes contains minimal carbs, but much considerably less than the typical counterpart.
      eat. love. nourish.
      Jody

13. I’ve been trying different grain free burger bun recipes the last few months. Yours is definitely the winner! Mine did not come out as light or fluffy looking as yours (I guess I shouldn’t have flattened them so much) but they were still perfect. The coconut/sweet taste wasn’t overpowering. I found other buns to compete with the flavor of the meat which should be the star of the show. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

14. albadaamama on February 25, 2014 at 4:58 am said:

THANK YOU!!! I’ve just gone grain-free after at least two years of threatening to do it, and I was really not especially enthralled at the thought of eating a burger between chunks of iceberg lettuce. I made these this evening and they really satisfied the bread texture requirement and tasted pretty nice too! They took hardly any time at all since I dumped everything in the food processor. I even took a photo of them and emailed it to my sister, such was my excitement…

15. Mine is way too runny! What did I do wrong??

• jodyrodent on March 11, 2014 at 7:31 am said:

You can always add a little more of the flax seed and coconut flour to the mix if it turns out runny. Eggs vary in size, so that could have been the problem, but the final product should not be as thick as a dough. The recipe is pretty forgivable, so just add dry ingredients until it thickens up a bit more;)
      eat. love. nourish.