“We LOVED this. It went so well with bowls of spicy chili. In fact, we enjoyed it so much that the next night, I dolloped it into burger bun-sized circles and baked it (no herbs this time) sprinkled with sesame seeds. I baked it for the same amount of time and it turned out really great. I’ve made quite a few grain-free bun recipes and this one is the closest to a real burger bun!”
Yay for creative people! Thank you Deborah for sharing!
Just like Deborah, I omitted the rosemary, and olive oil in the original recipe Grain-Free Focaccia and I used a regular sized ice cream scoop, to scoop the dough into balls and I placed them on a parchment lined baking sheet. I sprinkled a mixture of poppy seeds, minced dried onion, and sesame seeds to make a “works” bun.
I baked them on 375 degrees F for 12 minutes. and I agree, this tasted almost identical to a regular burger bun! I will be making these all summer!
- ¼ cup flax seed, ground
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup greek yogurt
- 4 pastured eggs
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 TBS mixture of poppy seeds, sesame seeds and minced dried onion
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix ground flax, coconut flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, beat the yogurt, eggs, and honey together until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl with the dry ingredients, mix to combine. Let sit for 1-2 min, allowing the coconut flour to soak up the access liquid.
- Use an ice cream scoop, to place balls of dough on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Top each ball of dough with a sprinkle of the seed mixture.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes in preheated oven.