I didn’t want to give up my love for good food, so I started improvising, and got smarter about my time and ingredients. This has helped me immensely, and thankfully as motherhood has gotten even more demanding…and even more fun!
Here are a few things that I have learned along the way:
1. Simple is better. Some of the best meals are made with 5 ingredients or less.
2. Use the highest quality ingredients that you can afford. Better quality food tastes better, and is more nourishing for your family!
3. Use local ingredients when you can. Local food tastes better (think of home-grown carrots and tomatoes) and has much more nutrition than food that may have been harvested early and shipped 2,000 miles to reach your grocery store.
4. Plan for Leftovers. There are many meals that taste better the next day…chili, meat sauce, soups, stews. If I don’t quite have enough for the family, I might make a quick side dish or two to make the leftovers go further. We set all of the food out buffet style on the kitchen island. This is my husband’s favorite. He says it’s like a potluck in your own home!
5. Include your children! If they feel like they have helped prepare the meal, they will have a sense of accomplishment. They are also less likely to turn their nose up at it, since after all…they made it!
It is officially the second day of spring, so here is a delicious spring recipe for my favorite crust-less quiche. This recipe is very forgiving, so use any cheeses or spring greens that you have in the house. Asparagus, spinach, and kale would all work. You could also add any kind of cooked or cured meat, to make this more of a “main dish” meal.
Have fun and Enjoy!
- 10 whole pastured eggs
- ⅔ cup plain goat milk kefir, yogurt or coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ lb arugula
- ½ cup cheddar
- ½ cup goat feta
- ½ cup gorgonzola
- ½ cup pecorino romano
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Whisk your eggs, kefir, salt, and black pepper until smooth. Mix in arugula and half the cheese. Pour into a buttered pie dish, or lined springform pan Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until set in the center.