Our Mother’s Day was fantastic! After working all day in the garden/yard we went to Dad and Rosemary’s house to have dinner. The mothers were asked to bring a simple side dish, and to sit down, with a glass of wine while the men made the main courses:
Grilled Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon
Grilled Norwegian Salmon
(OMG…I will not forget this meal for a VERY long time!!!!)
The girls played by grandma’s pond with Uncle Luke and fished for coy (good thing they didn’t catch any, or grandma would have skinned us alive)
I made this dish on a whim, but I think it would make a great side any day! It is super simple and very flavorful! Feel free to swap out the toppings, and the kind of winter squash you use!! If you want to keep it dairy free, top with some pistachios or cooked chopped bacon halfway into roasting, also you could swap out the dates for apple-juice sweetened cranberries! YUM!
- 2 small or 1 large butternut squash
- 1 TBS coconut oil, melted
- 1 TBS maple syrup
- 1 oz blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 oz goat feta, crumbled
- 3 dates or 2 TBS dried, apple juice sweetened cranberries
- 3 TBS chopped chives
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet or dish with parchment paper.
- Cut squash into halves, seed, and cut a piece from the bottom so it will sit nicely on the flat surface of your baking sheet/dish.
- Drizzle the coconut oil and maple syrup over the squash.
- Sprinkle with the crumbled cheeses and dates or cranberries.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until the cheeses are browned and the flesh of the squash is tender and starts to caramelize.
- garnish with chopped chives and fresh ground black pepper