Tacos have always been one of my favorite all-time meals.
They are great for families, and parties because they appeal to everyone, and can be made with whatever meat or veggies you have on hand. Taco night is a weekly favorite in this house and we make tacos with whatever is in season or on sale. In the past we have always made wrapped our fillings in butter lettuce, collard greens or occasionally the locally made 100% corn tortilla. This time, I found some beautiful savoy cabbage at the market, just calling my name. I have to say, it is my favorite wrap so far. Lettuce leaves and even collards tend to be too delicate, and these sturdy buggers get the job done.
I came up with the early summer inspired slaw after picking these amazing little radishes from a farm just up the road. Chicken is on sale at our local co-op right now, so I brought some home, marinated them in a chile-lime marinade for a day in the fridge, grilled them up, and topped them with the radish slaw, simple homestyle sour cream(dairy-free), local chevre and avocado.
- for the chicken:
- 1½ lb boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 TBS chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 tsp salt(lime fresca salt is fun)
- for the radish slaw:
- 2½ cups (about 18) radishes, trimmed, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- a drizzle of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- for serving:
- savory cabbage
- radish slaw
- sliced avocado
- simple homestyle sour cream(dairy-free)
- or homemade raw milk sour cream
- For the chicken, place the breasts in a resealable bag or glass bowl with a lid. Add the garlic, spices, lime juice and salt to the bag and let marinate for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.
- Grill chicken breasts for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until thoroughly cooked; or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- To make the radish slaw, combine everything but the salt and pepper, in a small bowl. Toss to mix, and season to taste.
- To assemble, slice chicken breast and place it in a large savoy cabbage leaf. Top with radish slaw, and your choice of avocado, my simple homestyle sour cream(dairy free) or or homemade raw milk sour cream and feta, or cotija cheese.
eat. love. nourish