The Banana Split.
Brings back some wonderful memories, right?
Warm summer afternoons, sitting out on the porch sharing stories and bites of this all American dessert. What is it about a banana split that can make a grown man swoon(my husband)? Is it the rich creamy ice cream? The sweet tart cherry? The sliced bananas? The rich chocolatey sauce?
I think it is one of those unique flavor combinations that just grabs the senses and draws the whole being in.
What’s even better than a banana split?!?
A Banana Split Ice Cream Cake. Crunchy almond flour crust with sliced bananas, homemade cashew and coconut based ice cream, and topped with your favorite banana split toppings. You can serve the toppings separately as well, and have your guests pick their own!
I decided to make this last weekend and it was a hit! Hope it is at your house as well!
- for the crust:
- 1 cup almond flour
- ⅔ cup coconut crystals (coconut palm sugar), or maple syrup powder
- ⅓ cup melted coconut butter or oil
- a pinch of sea salt
- for the bananas:
- 2 bananas sliced
- for the vanilla ice cream layer:
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked for 2 hours or more
- 2 cups young coconut meat(from a young thai coconut)
- 1 cup reserved coconut water(or filtered water)
- 1 cup maple syrup or coconut nectar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- optional toppings:
- raw chocolate sauce
- coconut flakes
- vegan sprinkles
- fresh cherries
- whipped cream or coconut cream
- strawberry or cherry sauce
- put the almond flour in a large bowl with the coconut crystals, coconut butter or oil, and sea salt. Mix well.
- Press into a 8×8 pan or a 9 inch spring form pan.
- layer the bananas over the almond flour crust
- make the vanilla ice cream layer by blending the soaked cashews, coconut meat, coconut water, maple syrup, vanilla extract, sea salt in the blender until very creamy. Add the melted coconut oil and blend until combined.
- Pour over the banana layer and freeze for at least 5 hours.
- cut into squares and top with raw chocolate sauce and all of your favorite toppings.