Chicken-A-La-King

My blog posts have been sort of erratic lately, we have family here from Sweden, and have been focused almost entirely on that this last week. Today I had some time to sit down with my laptop and put together a recipe for one of my family’s favorite meals.

Chicken à la King has stood the test of time, one of the original “comfort meals” for over 100 years.  Consisting of tender diced chicken, vegetables, and mushrooms in a creamy sauce, an instant classic, traditionally served over rice, pasta, or bread.

For a few years now, I have made my own low-carb, dairy-free version of this dish.

I add leeks, fresh diced red bell pepper, and because everything is better with bacon, I add 1/2 a package, along with some white wine and a can of coconut milk to make it super-creamy dish without the dairy(and you can’t even detect the coconut in the final product).

This is one of my family’s favorite dishes, and if you know me…I rarely ever make the same thing twice, but my husband begs me to make this dish about once a month.  This is a great way to introduce kids/family members to a new way of eating, and it takes less than 30 minutes to throw together.

Serve with cauliflower rice, paleo pasta, zucchini noodles, or mashed sweet potato for a meal fit for à la King.

Chicken à la Bacon

Serves: 4
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:

Ingredients
  • 4 oz bacon, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 leeks, chopped
  • 1 package mushrooms, halved
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 2 chicken breasts, diced
  • up to a ½ cup white wine
  • 1 (14 oz) can full-fat coconut milk
  • 1TBS arrowroot powder dissolved in the reserved ¼ cup of coconut milk.

Instructions
  1. Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add the chopped bacon and fry until semi crispy, set aside in a large bowl, and drain off all but 2 TBS bacon fat.
  2. Add the onion and leeks to the pan and cook for 3 minutes or until the onion starts to turn translucent.
  3. Add chicken, mushrooms, cooked bacon and red bell pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes.
  4. Add white wine and cook until wine is reduced by ¾.
  5. Add all but a ¼ cup of the coconut milk.
  6. Add the TBS of arrowroot to the ¼ cup of reserved coconut milk and cook until thickened. If too thick, you can add a splash of water to thin it out a little.
  7. Season with salt and pepper.

eat. love. nourish.

20 Thoughts on “Chicken à la King

1. This looks so good, I think I will have to add it to the menu next week! Thanks for sharing!

2. When you say half a packet, exactly how much are you talking? Her in Oz we have packets ranging from 200gms to 1kilo :)

3. stacy ehle on September 24, 2013 at 11:34 am said:

Made this tonight….my dish never thickened :/ it was super runny.

• jodyrodent on September 24, 2013 at 12:17 pm said:

Bummer Stacy!
      Every time I have made it, the coconut milk thickened up after a few minutes. Next time add 1-2 tsp arrowroot powder dissolved in a TBS of water, add and stir…it should thicken up almost instantly.
      Jody

4. I made this last night, it was super yum. We had it over riced cauliflower. It didn’t thicken very much but was still fab!!!

5. This is going to be dinner tonight! I have left over roast chicken so will try adding it at the end of cooking process to warm through etc. Hope it works out ok still….. :)

6. Whitney on October 24, 2013 at 9:05 am said:

I just made this and mine was too runny as well :(

7. Rick Nielson on January 9, 2014 at 12:33 pm said:

I like this recipe. The ingredients and flavor are terrific. However I ended up cutting the liquids in half. I found it (like other comments) too runny. A fine recipe though.

8. This was AMAZING! Even my picky Dh loved it. Also, for everyone having the issue of it be runny, you must reduce longer!! First reduce before you add the coconut milk untill there is almost nothing, then again after. Be patient!! It takes a LONG time. But it is so worth it. Also, we could smell the coconut, but not taste it at all!

9. Do you add the bacon back in?

10. Nayreth on January 14, 2014 at 2:29 pm said:

This was so DELISH :D my husband loved it. I added an extra ingredients, peanuts. Thank you

11. Just had this for dinner and it was amazing!!! Felt like I was eating some creamy naughty goodnesss!
    I cut the amount of wine in half and added some red pepper flakes…. It thickened beautifully!
    Will totally make this agian, Hubby loved it!

12. Hubby made this tonight and it was sooo good! My kids loved it too. Will be making again soon!

13. christine on January 30, 2014 at 2:40 pm said:

Re thickness, don’t forget coconut milk/cream can vary greatly in thickness hence a different result. Also i am sure stock instead of wine is different as (I think) wine evaporates a lot.

14. Jackee on February 8, 2014 at 7:08 am said:

This was amazing! I made the recipe just as listed and we gobbled it up! I will be making this again for sure.

15. This looks great. It’s funny, I just found your blog and all your recipes so far call for 4 strips of bacon!