I don’t directly crave cocktails in the winter time (when its so cold, I just want to drink scalding hot tea) but when I heard about the new kombucha cocktail craze, I knew I had to try my hand at a good kombuchjito…it is almost citrus season after all.
With no added sugar, this is a great alternative for your go-to holiday cocktail.
I start with bruising a few mint or basil leaves in the bottom of a cup, then I filled the glass with ice, poured over some delicious blood orange juice, added just a few drops of liquid stevia, and topped it off with my homemade kombucha. Stir it up, and its ready to go. This turned out better than I could have ever imagined. This is a cocktail that could lend itself to all seasons…and can be made for anyone, with or without the rum.
We made ours without rum, and the baby finished up her glass in about 2.3 seconds, which might well be a record.
- for each drink:
- a few sprigs of mint or basil
- ice to fill the glass
- 2 ounces blood orange juice
- 1.5 ounces white rum(optional)
- 3-4 drops of liquid stevia
- 3 oz ginger kombucha(or plain, preferably homemade)
- juice from 1 wedge of lime
- Bruise the mint/basil with a muddler in the bottom of a glass.
- Fill glass with ice.
- Add the orange juice and rum (if desired) if not using, just add more kombucha to top off the glass at the end.
- Add the stevia, kombucha, a squeeze of lime, and stir.
- Garnish with lime and an extra sprig of mint.
eat. love. nourish.