What an ingenious idea right?!?
I have long been a fan of the baked frittata and/or crustless quiche, and when you bake them in 1/2 pint wide mouth mason jars, it transforms into the perfect grab and go breakfast or lunch. Just throw one in your cooler bag and you’ve got a nourishing meal ready to go…anytime…anywhere. God forbid you devour it on your way to work, driving your kids to hockey practice, in front of your computer, or while listening to your colleague go on in monotone about her weekend of knitting and caring for her 10 orphan cats.
Though I am a TOTAL proponent of mindful eating, as a society(and its probably not going to change soon) we are addicted to fast, to-go options. Might as well eat the nourishing frittata on the go, over the chemical laden sugar-free, fat-free, whole food-free -tastes like candy- “protein” bar that we all love.
Don’t get me started. *steps off her soapbox*
This tastes just as good warm as it does cold, and since these are baked in a mason jars, these can be stored in the fridge, and placed directly into your toaster oven before you jump in the shower,(remember to remove the lid!) and breakfast is ready for the whole family before your hair is dry.
So have at it.
Here is your assignment for the weekend…
Make a batch of these babies. Your life will be soooo much easier!
- ½ lb pastured, nitrate and msg free pork or beef sausage, or 4 pieces of bacon
- ½ bunch of kale, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 7 large eggs
- 2 cups crème fraîche recipe here, kefir or plain yogurt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook the sausage in a pan, breaking up into small pieces, until cooked through, or fry bacon until crispy, chop.
- Reserve 1 TBS fat in the pan
- Add the red bell pepper. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the kale and cook until wilted.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl, add crème fraiche, kefir, or yogurt, and salt. Whisk until incorporated.
- Divide the meat and vegetable mixture between the 6 widemouth ½ pint mason jars or ramekins.
- Top the jars off with the egg mixture. Leave an inch headspace.
- Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes, until set and golden on top.
eat. love. nourish.